Melo inclined to disqualify KBL’s Acosta
By Helen Flores
The Philippine Star
MANILA, Philippines – Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Jose Melo disclosed yesterday that he was inclined to disqualify Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL) presidential candidate Vetellano Acosta who does not appear to be a serious presidential candidate.
Melo said the commission has not sent an invitation to Acosta for the scheduled tour of presidential and vice presidential candidates at the National Printing Office in Quezon City and precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines warehouse in Cabuyao, Laguna set on March 11.
“We’ve invited the presidential candidates except Acosta,” Melo told reporters.
“His partymates want him disqualified from the presidential race…(KBL vice presidential bet Jay) Sonza and other KBL officials say that he is not a serious candidate,” Melo said.
Acosta has not been campaigning and has not participated in any of the presidential debates.
The KBL standard-bearer had earlier admitted that he does not know Sonza or the party’s senatorial candidates because he was alone when he filed his certificate of candidacy.