Comelec disqualifies KBL presidential bet

Comelec disqualifies KBL presidential bet
abs-cbnNEWS.com

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Thursday officially disqualified Kilusang Bagong Lipunan Kilusang (KBL) standard-bearer Vetellano Acosta from the presidential race.

Comelec Commissioner Nicodemo Ferrer said the poll body disqualified Acosta on the basis of his own pronouncements and the statement of KBL vice-presidential bet Jay Sonza that they do not support each other, and that Acosta is not supported by his own partymates.

He said the statements prove that Acosta cannot wage a nationwide campaign, which is a requirement for a presidential candidate.

Ferrer said Acosta was also quoted in one interview as saying that he will no longer campaign and join presidential debates, and that he would leave his candidacy to God.

Liberal Party standard bearer Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III earlier filed a petition before Comelec to declare Acosta a nuisance candidate.

Earlier this week, Comelec Chairman Jose Melo said that if it were up to him, he may just disqualify Acosta from the presidential race because he doesn’t seem to be a serious candidate for president. (Read: Melo wants Acosta out of presidential race)  — report from Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News

Karen Ang

A plebeian who is trying to make small changes in this world.