More jobs seen in 4th quarter

More jobs seen in 4th quarter
By Mayen Jaymalin
The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines – Here’s good news for jobseekers.

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) yesterday assured that employment opportunities are brighter for jobseekers with the coming holiday season.

Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said various industries are expected to hire more workers in the last three months of the year as commercial establishments nationwide prepare for Christmas.

Even poor but deserving students who are on Christmas vacation can work temporarily in various business firms and government offices nationwide as provided under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES).

Employers will pay 60 percent of the students’ minimum wage while the government would shoulder the remaining 40 percent. The working students are also entitled to other benefits and privileges under the Labor Code.

Republic Act 9547 or the SPES Amendatory Law was passed last year to encourage employers engaged in small and medium enterprises to hire poor but deserving students so they will have the opportunity to earn more during vacation.

The labor chief said the government is also working to strengthen the agriculture sector as part of efforts to generate more local employment for Filipinos.

According to Baldoz, the government’s job promotion program is now starting to yield positive results as the country posted a lower unemployment rate in July.

Baldoz said they expect the unemployment rate to drop further in the coming months.

She added that the DOLE is closely coordinating with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for the implementation of various construction projects that could also generate employment for Filipinos next year.

The ProPinoy Project