The honorable representative Rene Lopez Relampagos from the great province of Bohol filled House Bill (HB) 5422, which seeks to rename EDSA to Cory Aquino Avenue.
This is brilliant. Let me tell you why.
1) EDSA wasn’t the original name. It was once called, Highway 54. SO there is precedent.
2) No one remembers who the Filipino historian Epifanio de los Santos, anyway.
3) We mock, and have no sense of history. So why start now? Text books are rewritten each year anyway.
4) It is a perfect expression of thanks to heroes and presidents. We’ve sent two presidents arrest warrants, and one (so far) has gone to jail. Marcos’ bust was de faced. Ninoy Aquino International Airport is one of the worst airports in the world. Now Cory gets to share in the joy of having a perennially potholed major thoroughfare named after her!
5) EDSA is such a difficult word to pronounce. Cory Aquino Avenue will never be used anyway. It is the natural inclination of everyone to shorten it. Let me be the first to nickname it, CAA, pronounced, “KAH”.
Guy: Is KAH traffic?
Sexy Girl Traffic reporter: Avoid KAH North bound as it is bumper to bumper until Ayala. Southbound KAH is likewise moderate to heavy from Cubao to Guadalupe.
Can’t you hear it now over the news, President Aquino announced that KAH revolution celebration commemorating…
So let’s screw deliberating about the silly RH BIll. Let’s forget about debating the pros and cons of the Freedom of Information bill.
NOSE BLEED ALERT!
So yeah, Rene Lopez Relampagos! You. ARE. THE. MAN. Thank you for bring much sense, and intelligence to our Congress. Your salary for this month is well earned, sir. So let’s celebrate the influencers who made The System tick!
Oh, one more thing. Shame on you people in the back row thinking this bill will hardly matter. What? Because in 10 years, people will still call it EDSA like people call Gil Puyat, Buendia.
That’s not TRUE. That’s impossible!
Photo credit: Wikimedia, some rights reserved.