Platform on Tourism
Tourism is a key industry with a high potential for growth in the Philippines. Tourism generates jobs and provides livelihood and income for workers of all skill levels, from managers and CEOs to cooks, busboys and souvenir makers (weavers and craftspeople).
Tourism also helps us remember and celebrate our identity as Filipinos and appreciate our unique culture as we share it with each other and the world.
In 2009, total tourist traffic in the top fourteen (14) destinations in the Philippines reached 8.9 million, posting a 14% growth.
As president, Noynoy Aquino will promote the Philippines as a prime destination that offers world-class tourist facilities and products through sustainable economic development while protecting and preserving the environment.
- We will harness our natural resources by involving our local communities in sustainable tourism endeavors. This will be achieved in a way that meets the needs of today’s discerning travelers without compromising the environment, and the future of our citizens. Our abundance in resources – beaches, mountains, caves and historical sites – can make key growth areas such as ecotourism, health and wellness and medical tourism thrive to the benefit of our economy and our people.
- Noynoy Aquino will support our target industries with a level playing field for businesses to encourage free and fair competition by making our business procedures easier and more streamlined. We will transform our systems in a way that ensures quality service to the public. We will streamline the approval process, not only for setting up new businesses but also in the regular day-to-day transactions with government, such as the payment of taxes. We will do this on a national as well as the local level.
- We will support small and medium enterprises by providing them access to credit, technologies and skills that would enable them to compete in the global economy. We will invest in our country’s top resource, our people, to make us more competitive and employable. We will also support the empowerment of communities through skills training and workshops that would enable them to plan and implement projects that will meet both their short-term and long-term needs.
- We will have a complementary infrastructure system that will include the construction and repair of roads, bridges, airports and seaports to increase accessibility to our sites.
- We will adopt a national sanitation program that will lead to universal access to sanitary toilets. This will improve family and public health, protect the groundwater, lakes, rivers and coastal waters from domestic waste contamination and indirectly, make tourism destinations more attractive and safer.
- An Aquino administration will be dedicated to upholding and enforcing law and order – within its security forces as well as among those who pose a genuine threat to our internal security.
[Archived from the official campaign web site of President Benigno S. “Noynoy” Aquino III]