Eliseo dela Paz

Comelec asked to disqualify nominees of 49 party-list groups

Comelec asked to disqualify nominees of 49 party-list groups
By Shiela Crisostomo
The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines – Electoral reform group Kontra Daya has asked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to disqualify the nominees of 49 party-list groups they claim have “questionable” agenda.

Comelec has accredited 175 part-list organizations to participate in the May 10 elections.

Renato Reyes of Kontra Daya noted that the nominees of the 49 party-list groups do not come from the marginalized sectors for which the party-list system was created.

They are mostly administration allies, incumbent officials, retired military and police officials, and individuals belonging to wealthy and politically influential families

Kontra Daya wants the nominees of these party-list groups disqualified motu propio, or without a petition for disqualification.

The group complained that the P5,000 disqualification fee charged by the Comelec discourages the filing of complaints against party-list groups that allegedly abuse the system.

“If the Comelec will not do anything despite the reports watchdog groups give them, it is up to the public then to be more discerning and vote only for those groups with a proven track record of serving the marginalized,” Reyes said. “ But if Comelec does not act now, what can arrest the steady destruction of the party-list system?”

On top of the group’s list of party-list nominees they want disqualified are Pampanga Rep. and presidential son Juan Miguel “Mikey”Arroyo, the first nominee of Ang Galing Pinoy which claims to represent security guards.

Another is former Energy Secretary Angelo Reyes of 1-Utak, which supposedly represents the transport sector.

The brother of National Security Adviser Chavit Singson, Jose Singson Jr., is the second nominee of 1st Kabagis party-list, which promises to “widen the segments of economic development.”

The Alyansa ng Media at Showbiz, which claims to represent media practitioners, has celebrity cosmetic surgeon Dr. Manny Calayan as its second nominee.

Anak Party-list, which claims to represent the urban poor, has listed former Police Senior Superintendent Eduardo Octviano, Jr. as its first nominee and retired police general Eliseo de la Paz as its second nominee. De la Paz had been tagged in the so-called “euro generals” scandal in 2008.

'Euro general' now seeks party-list seat

‘Euro general’ now seeks party-list seat
abs-cbnNEWS.com

MANILA,Philippines – After being involved in the so-called “euro generals” scandal, retired police comptroller Eliseo dela Paz is now seeking a congressional seat for party-list group Angat Ating Kabuhayan (ANAK).

In an interview on ANC’s “Headstart”, dela Paz said he is seeking public office for his son who is visually impaired and other Filipinos with disabilities.

The retired police official said people who are disabled are marginalized due to lack of awareness of the special requirements needed by disabled people. He said some parents of disabled children hide their sons and daughters and do not enroll them in schools.

“We only have about less than 200,000 disabled in school but the international trends of the disabled is about 10% of the total population. If we have 90 million people in the Philippines, 10% is about 9 million people,” he said.

Just days before his retirement in 2008, dela Paz was held briefly at a Moscow airport for failing to declare 105,000 euros (roughly P6.9 million) after an Interpol assembly.

Dela Paz said the money was the contingency fund of the 12-member Philippine National Police delegation to Moscow. He added that he later returned the money to the PNP.

Asked why he should be elected to Congress after the controversy, dela Paz said: “I did my job as a police officer to the best of my ability andI will leave it up to the electorate to judge [if I should be elected].”

Clef two-factor authentication